The mission of the Office of Distance Learning and Instructional Technology is to provide vision, leadership, and faculty support in the development of quality online and hybrid courses and programs and the integration of innovative instructional technologies that effectively promote student engagement and support teaching and learning.
We partner with UNT Dallas faculty, departments, and administration in the creation, design and delivery of high-quality learning experiences by supporting the use of instructional technologies for classroom, online and hybrid courses focusing on best practices, standards and researched based methods for instructional technology integration and instructional design.
We fulfill our mission through the following services:
- Faculty and Student Support
- Professional Development
- Instructional Design and Course Development
- Instructional Technology Services and Integration
- Leadership and Guidance for Distance Learning Courses and Programs
Distance Learning Goals
Design and Development of Online Learning Environments at UNT Dallas
- To assist in the development of quality courses and programs to meet the needs of our UNT Dallas distance learners.
- Design online courses with multiple formats for retrieving course content that include visual and textual design elements.
- Develop a process to ensure that all courses contain an orientation that clearly defines the course objectives.
- Furthermore, the explanation of the objectives, course activities and assignments should be made available in multiple learning formats when appropriate such as audio, video, graphical, and textual designs.
- Develop social or community activities for the online environment.
Instructional and Qualified Faculty/Professional Development
- To support and encourage the internal development of the distance learning program by promoting and providing guidelines for training and technical support.
- To provide strategies for effective delivery of distance learning alternatives through the development of guidelines for consistency in distance learning.
- To evaluate periodically and comprehensively every facet of distance learning courses/programs and to use these results to redesign and improve the online component.
- To train, counsel, evaluate, and retain qualified online instructors.
- To provide support services to distance learners.
- To provide orientations for online instructors, students, and newly hired online instructors.
The Office of Distance Learning and Instructional Technology has an experienced team of full-time staff who are able to assist UNT Dallas faculty and students with all of their distance learning needs.
Desmond Morris, Director
DAL 1, Room 154
Cynthia Johnson, Instructional Design Coordinator
DAL 1, Room 156
We also have outstanding student staff members who help create UNT Dallas' distance learning courses, work with faculty to trouble-shoot various technical issues, and assist with course redesign. Their contributions are vital to the daily course production duties of DLIT. The work experience they gain provides them with highly marketable workplace skills that prepare them for successful careers in technology.